Currency Lower Storage
The Currency L-Shaped Desk by Turnstone from Steelcase works with the best in mind when it comes to office space. Ensure the most durable work surface with this desk's low pressure laminate surface available in handsome wooden finishes. Store office supplies of files and documents to larger-sized items in customizable, rolling drawers.
This stylish modern desk completes any home office. Get yours right away — ships free in 10 days.
Turnstone® Currency® L-Shaped Desk
Currency is a freestanding laminate desk line. Desks, returns, credenzas and storage components are shipped fully assembled. Desk shells and rectilinear shape work surfaces are shipped knocked down for assembly in the field using quick-connect hardware.
- Work surfaces are standard 1 1/8” thick.
- Box drawers open their full depth using ball-bearing suspensions.
- File drawers open their full depth for total access to the contents. File drawers have heavy-duty ball-bearing suspensions. They accommodate letter-sized filing front to back and legal-size filing side to side.
- Lock for the box/box/file pedestal option does not lock the top box drawer.
- Locks are located in the bottom drawer of the pedestal, top right-hand corner.
- Bow-front desks have a 6” overhang on the visitor side. Back panel is inset 12” from edge of bow.
- Rectilinear-shape work surfaces must be attached to an adjoining work surface to form a flush-height L-shaped configuration and to provide stability. Post leg diameter is 6”.
- Rectangular desk shells are standard with two full-depth end panels.
- Rectangular tops used in conjunction with square post legs create a return.
- Towers provide vertical storage that aid in defining boundaries and increasing privacy.
- Lower storage cabinets can be used as stand-alone storage components. Cabinets can be specified with or without doors.
- Bookcases, shipped fully assembled, are available in several different configurations. Shelves on bookcases adjust in 1 1/4” increments. Quarter bookcases are available with fixed shelves only.
- Table tops are available in rectangular. Legs support work surfaces at 28 1/2” H or 28 3/4” H overall, which includes the work surface thickness.Square legs come standard with attachment hardware. The 2” square leg is available in packages of two and four. Legs are 27 3/8” with glides. Glides adjust 7/8”.
“Design isn't just about style. It's about integrity of materials, functional integrity and intent.”
— Glen Oliver Low, designer of the Think chair
At the turn of the 20th century, steel construction was making building exteriors less flammable, but office interiors were still crowded with wooden furniture, and still heated and lighted by open flame appliances. Smoking presented another fire hazard because ashes were often dumped in wicker wastepaper baskets. Beginning in 1912 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, The Metal Office Furniture Company (renamed Steelcase in 1954) had just 15 employees and a single product — a fireproof, metal wastepaper basket named the Victor!
Co-founder Peter M. Wege, a designer who had received several patents for sheet metal structures, was well aware of the fireproof benefits of metal office products. Wege and Chris Stone designed a metal office desk which won a bid for a federal contract, and thus the company began manufacturing office desks.
During the 1930s, Metal Office collaborated with world-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright to produce furniture for the S.C. Johnson & Sons in Racine building, which Life magazine called “the most inspirational office building of the 20th century.”
During World War II, the company designed steel shipboard furniture for the U.S. Navy. A piece of Steelcase naval furniture was used for the historic signing of the surrender documents ending World War II.
Beginning in 1975, Steelcase launched a series of advanced office chairs, including the Sensor chair that adapted to the body's movements; the Leap® chair (1999), which addressed the correlation between back pain and worker productivity; and the Think™ chair (2004), an intuitive, mid-priced and environmentally sustainable product. Still newer ergonomic task chairs include Amia® and Cobi®, both offering the comfort and support of higher-priced chairs. Today, Steelcase, Inc. supplies thousands of products worldwide, including metal and wood office furniture, systems furniture, seating, computer support furniture, desks, tables, credenzas, filing cabinets, and office lighting.
Dimensions & Measurements
Dimensions: Steelcase® Currency® Lower Storage
With two Doors: 15 11/16" D x 36" W x 21 1/2" H